Raspberry Pi 5 4GB
Raspberry Pi 5 features an array of enhanced features and performance improvements. Designed to provide an objective overview of its capabilities, let's explore the key aspects and specifications:
RP1 I/O Controller - In-House Design
Raspberry Pi 5 is constructed with the RP1 I/O controller, incorporating in-house silicon design. This ensures compatibility and performance optimization.
The Raspberry Pi 5 is equipped with the Broadcom BCM2712 quad-core Arm Cortex A76 processor, operating at 2.4GHz, offering up to three times the speed of its predecessor.
This Raspberry Pi 5 version features a 4B RAM.
Expandable Form Factor
The inclusion of USB 3 significantly boosts data transfer speeds, making it ideal for projects demanding rapid data exchange.
Raspberry Pi 5 allows you to easily customize your setup with interchangeable camera and DSI display connectors, providing flexibility to suit your needs.
The Raspberry Pi 5's PCIe support enables the connection of an M.2 SSD, delivering rapid data transfer and quick boot times.
Raspberry Pi OS - Tailored for Excellence
The latest Raspberry Pi OS has been optimized for Raspberry Pi 5, ensuring superior desktop performance suitable for various applications.
- Mounting holes for coolers/heatsinks
- Composite video header
- Memory indication markers for easy board RAM identification
- Unique board ID number on the board and packaging
- Relocated PoE header
- Audio jack removed
- Flush(ish) underside to GPIO pins
- Metal supporting tabs to protect components on the underside
- Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU with cryptography extensions
- L2 caches 512KB per core and a 2MB shared L3 cache
- VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1 and Vulkan 1.2
High-Resolution Display Output
- Dual 4Kp60 HDMI display output with HDR support
- 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
- LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM 4GB
- Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
Storage Expansion and Fast Data Transfer
- microSD card slot, with support for high-speed SDR104 mode
- 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
- 2 × USB 2.0 ports
- Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires a separate PoE+ HAT)
Camera and Display Integration:
- 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
Fast Peripheral Connectivity
- PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for connecting fast peripherals (requires a separate M.2 HAT or other adapter)
Power and Charging
- 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support
Expansion and GPIO Access
- Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header
Real-Time Clock (RTC)
- Powered from an external battery for precise timekeeping
Ease of Use
- Convenient power button
Raspberry Pi 5 Drawing
Some Examples of Possible Applications
- Home automation and smart home control
- Media center for streaming and local content playback
- Robotics and automation projects
- Network-attached storage (NAS) server
- Retro gaming console emulator
- Internet of Things (IoT) sensor hub
- Digital signage system
- Educational projects and programming
- Home security and surveillance system
- Raspberry Pi 5 4GB
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will older versions of Raspberry Pi OS work with Raspberry Pi 5?
The latest version of Raspberry Pi OS, Bookworm, is recommended for use with Raspberry Pi 5.
- Will my Raspberry Pi 4 power supply work with Raspberry Pi 5?
Raspberry Pi 5 is a higher-performance computer than Raspberry Pi 4, and it is advisable to use a high-quality 5V 5A USB-C power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi 27W USB-C Power Supply.
- Does Raspberry Pi 5 need active cooling?
While Raspberry Pi 5 is faster and more powerful than previous models, it may require the Raspberry Pi 5 Active Cooler for top performance during extended processing load.