Odroid N2L 4GB
Hardkernel has released its Odroid N2L as a less expensive variant of Odroid N2+. The thought behind the making of the new N2+ alternative is to provide a relatively cost-effective, more compact, simpler, yet effective SBC for B2B customers.
What Makes Odroid N2L Different from Odroid N2+
- Smaller form factor with compact size, i.e., 69mm x 56mm and weighs just 50 Grams
- Better option for using with standalone embedded systems for which Ethernet is not required
- Suitable for building drones, human-machine-interface devices, arcade consoles, and robots, etc.
- Low power consumption and faster LPDDR RAM
- Less expensive than Odroid N2+
The letter ‘L’ in Odroid N2L branding signifies multiple themes – Light, Lumen, Lynx, Leaf, Little, Lovely, and LPDDR.
Since Odroid N2L is a less expensive SBC than Odroid N2+, Hardkernel has compromised on hardware features by removing IR Receiver, OTG Port, RTC< USB 3.0 Ports, Analog Audio Output, SPI Flash, and Ethernet.
Odroid N2L Block Diagram
Odroid N2L Video Demonstration: Ubuntu Gnome Desktop 22.04 + Kernel 6.0 + Panfrost + Vulkan API
Supports WiFi and BT USB Adapter
If you need wireless connectivity for your Odroid N2L, you can use the Odroid WiFi BT USB Module 5BK (sold separately).
Odroid N2L features LPDDR4 (single chip) instead of the DDR4 RAM chips used on the N2+. It not only reduces the form factor but also results in less power consumption. Odroid N2L features approximately 20% higher DRAM interface clock frequency than the N2+. The overall system performance of Odroid N2L is from 10% to 20% higher than the performance of Odroid N2+.
There is also around 10% performance optimisation for GPU which is nearly the same as the improvement of the Memory Bandwidth.
Low Power Consumption
Since Odroid N2L has LPDDR4 (single chip), it consumes less power than the DDR4 RAM Chips on Odroid N2+. In addition, the N2L has fewer hardware components to feed, it consumes less power than Odroid N2+.
When it comes to heavy computing on a 2.4 GHz CPU overclocking, the stock fan has to keep rotating to diminish thermal throttling. Following the thermal performance of Odroid N2L.
If you want a quiet cooling solution, you can replace the N2L fan with the tall heatsink (sold separately). However, this solution is ideal if you do not put too much computing load on the processor and keep the clocking below 2GHz.
Odroid N2L Operating System Boot
Since Odroid N2L has LPDDR4, it will not boot the existing Odroid N2 or N2+ image. Using the attached downloadable file (getting started with Odroid N2L) you can select the right Operating System Images for Odroid N2L.
- Android 9.0 (32 Bit and 64 Bit Images)
- Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop with Kernel 5.15 and Upstream
- Ubuntu 22.04 Mate | Minimal with Kernel 4.9
- EmuELEC (TBD)
Odroid N2L Board Layout
Specifications of Odroid N2L
- Amlogic S922X 12nm
- Cortex-A73 2.2GHz Quad Core | Cortex-A53 2GHz Dual Core
- ARMv8-A Architecture | Crypto and Neon Extensions
- Mali G-52 800MHz GPU | x6 Execution Engines
- LPDDR4 4GiB | 32-bit Bus Width
- Low Power Consumption 1.1Volt
- Up to 3216 MT/sec. Data Rate
- MicroSD Slot
- eMMC Connector
- Supports USB Adapter for Optional Ethernet or WiFi
- HDMI Digital Output (x1)
- HDMI 2.0 (x1) | Supports up to 4K @ 60Hz with CEC, HDR, and EDID
- USB 3.0 HOST (x1)
- USB 2.0 HOST (x1)
- UART Serial Debug Console (x1)
- MIPI DSI 4-Labe TBD (x1)
- Peripheral Expansion Header 40-Pin (x1) | 2.54mm Pitch
- DC 5V (x2) | DC 3.3V (x1) | DC 1.8V (x1) | GND (x8)
- UART (x1) | SPI (x1) | I2C (x2) | GPIO (x25 Max.)
- ADC Input (x2) | 1.8V Max, 10-Bit
Signal Level for ADC input is 1.8 Volt (Max) and 3.3 Volt for all other I/O
- DC Jack (x1) | 5.5mm Outer (Negative) and 2.1mm Inner (Positive)
- Input Compatibility Ranges from 7.5V to 16V
- DC 12V/2A is recommended power supply (sold separately)
- IDLE Power Consumption is approximately 1.5W (Performance Governor) and 1.3W (Conservative Governor)
- Power-Off ≃2W
- CPU Stress (Active Cooling-FAN) ≃1W (@1908/2208MHz, Stock), 6.4W (@2016/2400MHz, Overclock)
- CPU Stress (Passive Heat-Sink) ≃4W (@1908/2208MHz, Stock), 5.8W (@2016/2400MHz, Overclock)
- Passive Heatsink (Built-In)
- Active 5V Cooling Fan Connector (2-Pin | 1.25mm Pith)
- PWR LED Indicator (Red): Stable light when the power supply is connected
- ALIVE LED Indicator (Blue): Flashes while Kernel is running
- Weight (Included Fan): 50 Grams
- Dimensions (Including Fan): 6.9cm x 5.6cm x 2.2cm | 69mm x 56mm x 22mm
- Odroid N2L (4GB)