HiFiBerry DIGI+ (Standard Version)
If you are looking for a highly credible Raspberry Pi S/PDIF Output then you need not to go anywhere else because HifiBerry Digi+ Standard is ready to serve you. The good thing is that you no more require to arrange for an extra USB conversion to facilitate Digi+. The new sound port, I2C helps the direct connect to the CPU. An impressive 192kHz/24-bit sample rate signifies an exceptional sound quality. I mustn’t forget mentioning the TOSLink, electric/optical output accompanying Digi+ Standard Version.
- Compatible with the latest Raspberry Pi boards through GPIO reference card (40-pin)
- Produces high definition digital sound
- Bit-Perfect Output eliminates any chances of modification in the audio stream
- Doesn’t requires additional cables because Digi+ features a direct connection to Raspberry Pi
- Doesn’t require soldering
- Features a fabricated plugin kit to attach with the Raspberry Pi
- Compatible with Pi A+, Pi B+, and Pi 2B and Pi 3B
- Features all necessary components needed to connect the component to the Raspberry Pi board
- Lightweight (just 30-grams)
- Supports an optional output (high-bandwidth) to enable galvanic isolation
(This feature is optional on the standard Gigi+ version)
The output transformer is not required in the case of SPDIF but if you are looking for galvanic isolation then you need to think about a transformer. The good news is that HiFiBerry Digi+ Standard works well without a transformer. So far, there hasn’t been any complaint in this regard. But there are audio-geeks who love to make full use of all the options available and don’t feel satisfied unless they don’t do something about galvanic isolation. If you’re not one of these geeks, you’ll have no problem whatsoever.
There is nothing negative about an output transformer, it doesn’t harm the component and has shown no signs to corrupt the optical output. You’ve complete freedom over your choice, whether to go without a transformer or opt for one to satisfy your ears.